- sodium citrate
- sodium alkylsulfoacetate
This information is intended for use by health professionals
Sodium alkylsulphoacetate 0.90% w/v; sodium citrate 9.0% w/v.
For excipients, see 6.1.
Micralax is indicated whenever an enema is necessary to relieve constipation: in dyschezia, especially in bedridden patients; in geriatrics, paediatrics and obstetrics; and in preparation for X-ray examination, proctoscopy and sigmoidoscopy.
Adults and children aged 3 years and over: Administer the contents of one micro-enema rectally, inserting the full length of the nozzle. No lubricant is needed as a drop of the mixture is sufficient.
Micralax usually works within 5 to 15 minutes, so make sure you are near a toilet before using it.
Always use a fresh tube of Micralax every time.
1. Lie down on your side with your knees drawn up towards your tummy or, if you prefer, sit on the toilet.
2. Pull or twist the cap off the tube.
3. If you want to lubricate the nozzle before inserting it, squeeze a drop of liquid out onto the nozzle.
4. Insert the full length of the nozzle into your back passage.
5. Gently squeeze the tube until it is empty.
6. Keep squeezing the tube as you pull the nozzle out of your back passage. This is to stop the medicine being drawn back into the tube.
7. Wait for the laxative to work (5-15 minutes)
Do not use in patients with inflammatory bowel disease.
No special recommendations.
No side effects have been reported. Excessive use may cause diarrhoea and fluid loss, which should be treated symptomatically.
Reporting of suspected adverse reactions
Reporting suspected adverse reactions after authorisation of the medicinal product is important. It allows continued monitoring of the benefit/risk balance of the medicinal product. Healthcare professionals are asked to report any suspected adverse reactions via Yellow Card Scheme on the MHRA website (www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard).
Micralax combines the action of sodium citrate, a peptidising agent which can displace bound water present in the faeces; sorbitol, which enhances this action, and sodium alkylsulphoacetate, a wetting agent.
Liquid Sorbitol, Glycerin, Sorbic Acid and Purified Water.
Store at a temperature not exceeding 25°C.
5 ml polythene micro-enema tubes, capped, and with elongated nozzles
No special requirements.
RPH Pharmaceuticals AB
136 50 Haninge,
28 June 1991 / 07/10/2002
24 January 2019