What is a Patient Information Leaflet and why is it useful?
The Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) is the leaflet included in the pack with a medicine. It is written for patients and gives information about taking or using a medicine. It is possible that the leaflet in your medicine pack may differ from this version because it may have been updated since your medicine was packaged.
Below is a text only representation of the Patient Information Leaflet. The original leaflet can be viewed using the link above.
The text only version may be available in large print, Braille or audio CD. For further information call emc accessibility on 0800 198 5000. The product code(s) for this leaflet is: PL00173/0404.
Ibuleve Max Strength Pain Relief 10% Gel
Package leaflet: Information for the user
IBULEVE MAX STRENGTH PAIN RELIEF 10% GEL
Ibuprofen 10% w/w
Read all of this leaflet carefully before you start using this medicine because it contains important information for you.
Always use this medicine exactly as described in this leaflet or as your doctor or pharmacist have told you.
Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
Ask your pharmacist if you need more information or advice.
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. See section 4.
You must talk to a doctor if you do not feel better or if you feel worse after 14 days.
In this leaflet:
1. What Ibuleve Max Strength Pain Relief 10% Gel is and what it is used for
2. What you need to know before you use Ibuleve Max Strength Pain Relief 10% Gel
3. How to use Ibuleve Max Strength Pain Relief 10% Gel
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store Ibuleve Max Strength Pain Relief 10% Gel
6. Contents of the pack and other information
1. WHAT IBULEVE MAX STRENGTH PAIN RELIEF 10% GEL IS AND WHAT IT IS USED FOR
This product is an anti-inflammatory painkiller applied to, and absorbed through, the skin. It is for the treatment of the following conditions involving the musculoskeletal system:
- muscular backache
- muscular pain
- rheumatic pain
- sports injuries.
This product is recommended for use by adults, the elderly and children over the age of 12 years. The active ingredient in this product is ibuprofen. This is one of a group of medicines known as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
- Ibuprofen works by:
- relieving pain
- reducing swelling and inflammation.
2. WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE YOU USE IBULEVE MAX STRENGTH PAIN RELIEF 10% GEL
Do not use Ibuleve Max Strength Pain Relief 10% Gel:
- if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to ibuprofen or any of the other ingredients in this product listed in section 6;
- if you are asthmatic, or suffer from rhinitis (allergic runny nose) or urticaria (hives) and have ever had a bad reaction to aspirin, ibuprofen or other NSAIDs in the past;
- if you pregnant or breast-feeding;
- on broken, damaged, infected or diseased skin;
- if you have severe joint pain of recent onset that is not related to an injury or period of overuse;
- if you feel ill, have a temperature or any other symptoms that accompany the pain.
Before applying this product for the first time, make sure it is suitable for you to use:
Because this product is delivered through the skin, directly over the painful area, there is less risk of the complications that sometimes occur when ibuprofen (or a similar anti-inflammatory painkiller) is taken by mouth. However, in rare cases you may be at risk:
- if you have a stomach ulcer (also called a pepic or gastric ulcer);
- if you have ever had kidney problems;
- if you have ever had asthma;
- if you have ever had a bad reaction to aspirin or ibuprofen taken by mouth.
If any of the above apply to you, only use this product on advice from your doctor or pharmacist.
Warnings and precautions
Do not smoke or go near naked flames - risk of severe burns. Fabric (clothing, bedding, dressings etc) that has been in contact with this product burns more easily and is a serious fire hazard. Washing clothing and bedding may reduce product build-up but not totally remove it.
Take special care when using this product:
- Use it only on the skin.
- Do not use it on children under 12 years of age except on the advice of a doctor.
- Do not apply it to broken or irritated skin.
- Do not use under protective waterproof dressings.
- Do not use more than the recommended dose (see Section 3).
- Keep the gel away from the eyes, nose and mouth.
Using other medicines
- Interaction between this product and blood pressure lowering drugs and anticoagulants (medicines that stop blood clotting) is possible, in theory, although very unlikely. If you would like more advice about this, speak to your doctor or pharmacist.
- If you are also taking aspirin or other NSAIDs by mouth, discuss this beforehand with your doctor or pharmacist because these may increase the risk of undesirable effect.
- Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines including other medicines obtained without prescription.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
You should not use this product if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
Driving and using machinery
Using this product is not known to affect your ability to drive or use machinery.
3. HOW TO USE IBULEVE MAX STRENGTH PAIN RELIEF 10% GEL
Before using this tube of gel for the first time, open it as follows:
- Unscrew the cap, turn it upside down and then use the sharp point of the cap to pierce the membrane in the neck of the tube.
To use the gel (for adults, the elderly and children over 12 years old):
- Use the gel up to three times a day, leaving at least four hours between applications.
- Lighly apply the gel to intact skin over the painful areal.
- Squeeze out a 2 to 5 cm length of gel onto the affected area, enough to thinly cover it, then massage gently until absorbed. Do not apply more than 15 cm of gel in any 24 hours period.
- Wash hands after use, unless treating them.
- Carry on using the gel in this way for up to two weeks (or longer if recommended by your doctor), until your condition gets better.
- If your symptoms worsen or continue for more than two weeks, discuss this with your pharmacist ordoctor before continuing treatment.
If the gel comes into contact with broken skin or gets into the eyes, nose or mouth
- The product may cause irritation if it comes into contact with broken skin or gets ino the eyes, nose or mouth. If this happens, rinse the affected areas with plenty of water. If rinsing one eye, take care to avoid washing product ino the other eye. If irritation persists, tell your doctor or pharmacist.
If the gel is accidentally swallowed
- Symptoms may include headache, vomiting, drowsiness and low blood pressure.
- If you experience any of these symptoms contact a doctor or hospital straight away.
If you forget to use this product
Do not worry if you occasionally forget to use this product, just carry on using it when you remember.
If you have any further questions on the use of this product, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
4. POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Like all medicines, Ibuleve Max Strength Pain Relief 10% Gel can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
All side effects listed are of unknown frequency (frequency cannot be estimated from the available data).
Ibuleve gel may cause the following side effects:
- Occasionally, mild skin rashes, itching or irritation can sometimes occur at the site of application.
- Skin becomes sensitive to light
If this is unacceptable, or persists, stop using the product and tell your doctor or pharmacist.
If you experience any of the following side effects, stop using this product immediately and tell your doctor:
- Allergic reactions (particularly in people who have a history of asthma or allergic problems), such as:
- unexplained runny nose and watery eyes, or, in more serious cases asthma or aggravated asthma involving breathing difficulties, wheezing or chest tightness;
- generalised allergic skin reactions involving itch, swelling, inflammation, redness and perhaps blistering and light sensitivity;
- other more serious generalised allergic reactions possibly involving unexplained nausea and vomiting, swollen eyes, face or tongue, difficulty swallowing, dizziness or light-headedness. Unconsciousness could perhaps occur in the most serious cases.
- Kidney problems (particularly in people who have a history of kidney disease), such as:
- decreased urine volume;
- loss of appetite / weight loss;
- swelling of abdome.
- Problems with the digestive system (particularly in people who have a history of stomach ulcers etc), such as:
- stomach pain;
- heartburn / indigestion.
If any of the side effects get serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard or search for MHRA Yellow Card in the Google Play or Apple App Store. By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
5. HOW TO STORE IBULEVE MAX STRENGTH PAIN RELIEF 10% GEL
- Keep it out of the sight and reach of children.
- Always replace the cap tightly after use.
- Do not store the product above 25°C.
- Do not use after the expiry date shown on the fold of the tube and the carton.The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
- Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medicines no longer required. These measures will help to protect the environment.
6. CONTENTS OF THE PACK AND OTHER INFORMATION
What this product contains:
The active ingredient is ibuprofen (10% w/w). The other ingredients are industrial methylated spirit, carbomers, diethylamine and purified water.
What this product looks like and contents of the pack
- The product is a clear or slightly hazy gel that is non-greasy and contains no fragrance.
- It is available in tubes containing 30g, 40g and 50g. Not all pack sizes may be marketed.
The Marketing Authorisation Holder is
The manufacturer is
94 Rickmansworth Road
This leaflet was last revised in March 2021
To listen to or request a copy of this leaflet in Braille, large print or audio, please call free of charge: 0800 198 5000 (UK only).
Please be ready to give the following information:
Ibuleve Max Strength Pain Relief 10% Gel PL 00173/0404.
This is a service provided by the Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB).