Overdose is considered unlikely with this product. However, if large quantities have been ingested, vomiting, inflammation of mucous membranes of the mouth and stomach, weakness, mental confusion, cold sweats, depression of pulse and leg cramps may occur.
Where phenol has been swallowed it may be necessary to empty the stomach by aspiration and lavage. Castor oil or olive oil may be added to the water to dissolve the phenol and delay absorption: 50ml of oil may be left in the stomach.
The patient should be kept warm, and pulmonary oedema, systemic acidosis, respiratory failure and circulatory failure should be treated symptomatically. Respiration may have to be assisted.