What is a Patient Information Leaflet and why is it useful?
The Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) is the leaflet included in the pack with a medicine. It is written for patients and gives information about taking or using a medicine. It is possible that the leaflet in your medicine pack may differ from this version because it may have been updated since your medicine was packaged.
Below is a text only representation of the Patient Information Leaflet. The original leaflet can be viewed using the link above.
The text only version may be available in large print, Braille or audio CD. For further information call emc accessibility on 0800 198 5000. The product code(s) for this leaflet is: THR02855/0011.
Buttercup Original Cough Syrup
PATIENT INFORMATION LEAFLET
Buttercup™ original cough syrup
Squill liquid extract, Capsicum tincture
A traditional herbal medicinal product used for the relief of
Based on Traditional Use Only
Directions for Use:
For oral use only. Shake bottle before use.
Adults, the elderly and children over 12 years:
Two 5ml spoonfuls three times a day and at bedtime, if the cough is troublesome. Do not use for more than one week.
DO NOT EXCEED THE STATED DOSE.
If exceeded consult your doctor immediately. If difficulty breathing, fever or blood in your saliva occurs, or if symptoms worsen or persist after one week, consult your doctor or qualified healthcare practitioner.
Before taking this medicine:
Do not use this medicine:
- If you are allergic to any of the ingredients or to menthol.
- If you are under 12 years of age
- If you are pregnant or breast feeding
- If you are taking any medicines known to interact with alcohol (e.g. metronidazole)
Contains alcohol and therefore may impair ability to drive or operate machines. If affected do not drive or use machines.
Important information about some ingredients:
This medicine contains:
- sucrose, fructose and glucose (as partial invert syrup). If you have an intolerance to some sugars, consult your doctor before taking this product
- carmoisine (E122), Sunset Yellow (E110), sodium methyl hydroxybenzoate (E219) and sodium propyl hydroxybenzoate (E217) which may cause allergic reactions (possibly delayed) e.g. itching, swelling of tongue, lips, eyes and hands, and wheeziness.
If this happens seek medical help immediately.
- 2.3% ethanol (alcohol) or 182 mg per 10 ml dose (equivalent to 4.6 ml beer or 1.8 ml wine). This may be harmful for those suffering from alcoholism and should be considered if you are pregnant, breast feeding, have liver disease or epilepsy.
Reporting of side effects:
No side effects have been reported for this product. If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard. By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
Each 5ml of syrup contains: 3.1 microlitres of extract (as liquid extract) from Squill bulb (Drimia maritima (L.) Stearn.) (1:1) Extraction solvent: Ethanol 65% v/v
2.5 microlitres of tincture from Capsicum Oleoresin (Capsicum annuum L. var. minimum (Miller) Heiser) (1:10) Extraction solvent: Ethanol 96% v/v
Acacia powder, caramel colour (E150), ethanol, levomenthol, clove oil, peppermint oil, sodium methyl hydroxybenzoate (E219), sodium propyl hydroxybenzoate (E217), aniseed flavour, purified water, carmoisine (E122), Sunset Yellow (E110), strong ginger tincture (ginger, ethanol, water), acetic acid, saccharin sodium, partial invert syrup (sucrose, fructose and glucose), potassium sorbate.
Storing this medicine:
Do not use if the bottle cap seal is damaged, or after the expiry date (see ‘USE BEFORE’ date on bottle). Once opened use within 28 days. Do not store above 25˚C. Store in the original container.
KEEP OUT OF THE SIGHT AND REACH OF CHILDREN.
Traditional Herbal Registration Holder:
32 Vauxhall Bridge Road
Date of last revision: Sept 2015.
C51-0009 VER B UC0267