What is a Patient Information Leaflet and why is it useful?
The Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) is the leaflet included in the pack with a medicine. It is written for patients and gives information about taking or using a medicine. It is possible that the leaflet in your medicine pack may differ from this version because it may have been updated since your medicine was packaged.
Below is a text only representation of the Patient Information Leaflet. The original leaflet can be viewed using the link above.
The text only version may be available in large print, Braille or audio CD. For further information call emc accessibility on 0800 198 5000. The product code(s) for this leaflet is: PL 00014/5783R.
Boots Kaolin & Morphine Mixture B.P.
PATIENT INFORMATION LEAFLET
Boots KAOLIN & MORPHINE Mixture B.P.
Relieves occasional diarrhoea
200 ml e
Read all of this label for full instructions.
Uses: A traditional anti-diarrhoeal for the relief of occasional diarrhoea.
Before you take this medicine
Do not take:
- If you are allergic to any of the ingredients
- If you have difficulty breathing
- If you have liver problems or alcoholism
- If you have a head injury or a condition where there is raised pressure in the head
- If you have an intolerance to some sugars, unless your doctor tells you to (this medicine contains sucrose)
Talk to your pharmacist or doctor:
- If you have bowel problems
- If you are taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors (for depression) or you have taken them in the last 14 days
- If you are on a controlled sodium diet (this medicine contains 137 mg of sodium per 10 ml)
- If you take other medicines – hypnotics, sedatives, phenothiazines (e.g. chlorpromazine)
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding
Other information: This medicine will only relieve the symptoms of diarrhoea. It does not treat any dehydration caused by it. You must drink plenty of fluids when you have diarrhoea.
May cause drowsiness. If affected do not drive or operate machinery.
This medicine contains small amounts of alcohol (ethanol), less than 100 mg per 10 ml.
How to take this medicine
Check the cap seal is not broken before first use. If it is, do not take the medicine.
Shake the bottle.
Mix the amount given below with a little water in a glass and drink the solution.
Adults and children of 12 years and over: Two 5ml spoonfuls, mixed with water. Take this amount 3 times in 24 hours, if you need to, until your diarrhoea is relieved.
Do not give to children under 12 years.
Warning: Do not exceed the stated dose.
If your diarrhoea is not relieved within 24 hours, talk to your doctor.
If you take too much: Talk to a doctor straight away.
Possible side effects
Most people will not have problems, but some may get some of these:
- Feeling sick, being sick
- Constipation, dry mouth, sweating
- Drowsiness, facial flushing
- Changes to the pupil in your eye
If any side effect becomes severe, or you notice any side effect not listed here, please tell your pharmacist or doctor.
Keep tightly closed.
Keep all medicines out of the sight and reach of children.
Use by the date on the label edge.
Each 5 ml of oral suspension contains Light Kaolin 20% w/v, Morphine Hydrochloride 0.0092% w/v.
Also contains: purified water, sodium bicarbonate, sucrose, chloroform, ethanol (0.45 vol %), black treacle, liquorice liquid extract, ether, peppermint oil.
PL 00014/5783 [P]
Text prepared 2/11
Manufactured by the Marketing Authorisation holder
If you need more advice ask your pharmacist.
BTC69060 vs C